Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The 4th of July

While most of you were enjoying this......

















or cooking this.......















or lighting these.........






















the Buhrleys were doing this.......
















We're learning that putting in a yard is HARD work and we spent the holiday weekend getting the yard ready for sod. Brook sets such a good example to the kids of how working hard can have great benefits and be fulfilling as well. Brook figures that if there's a project to be done, HE can figure it out and do it. In our 18 years of togetherness, I've watched him tackle one project after another after another....... and figure it out. He just has a wonderful "can do" attitude. The latest project is a yard. He's had all of them out there working beside him and helping in different ways and they've been GREAT. We hope they learn that work isn't something to be afraid of or avoided. It's been fun watching the yard take shape and begin to look like a real yard and know that they had a part in it. I hope they're each proud of themselves in the ways they've helped. They should be!
We're also learning that working together as a family can be fun as well....especially if there's a camera around. You should see the thousand and one pictures they took of themselves. On second thought, they're probably better left unseen.





















6 comments:

Julie said...

Teaching kids to work, the way you and Brook have, is really one of the greatest gifts you can ever give them. Way to go! And the yard is going to be amazing, I'm sure!

Jeni said...

Wow, go you guys! Probably not the most fun 4th of July but hey, ya gotta get that yard in! Way cool that you are getting your kids to help too. Kids just don't know the meaning of hard work anymore! They will be so glad you taught them that! ( So will the people they will marry!!) Sorry I didn't get to see your house! I heard it is beautiful! Next time, for sure!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I love this! They will look back on this with fond memories. Working together is so bonding! I can't wait to see "after" pictures!! ( beautiful flowers on the balcony! i think it was your balcony?)

The Buhrley Bunch said...

But Jolynn, THIS strand of the Buhrley family isn't getting fresh raspberries for all their labor!!!! Maybe next year :)

Julie said...

Can my kids come over to help??? They need a little hard labor in their lives, other then Natalie of course!!!

The Barton's said...

Nu uh...WOW. Go you! Getting a little dirt under your finger nails never hurt anyone. To bad you didn't get to enjoy that lovely meal that YOU made! Shoot. All that good food went to waste. LOL I bet your glad to get the yard in and done! Sure miss you guys!