
Happy Anniversary Brook! Today is our 17th wedding anniversary. He is an incredible dad, husband and friend. I feel so lucky to be married to such a great guy. He makes me laugh constantly. He's a devoted dad and husband. He tells me daily that I'm beautiful, talented, wonderful, and that he loves me. I am honored to be his wife and overjoyed to be part of his life.
Brook and I grew up two miles apart, attended the same schools, and NEVER met. I knew who he was and he claims that he knew me (he's lying). We had common friends and by all reasoning should have run into one another, but it never happened..... until it was supposed to. We didn't officially meet until Brook had returned from his mission and we bumped into each other in the freezer section of Smith's Grocery store late one night.
I went looking for
a half gallon of chocolate chip ice cream.
Smith’s freezer section would do.
I found, instead, steady blue eyes that looked right through me.
A gentle smile and unsure nod -
Friendly chatter among friends -
And a heart that wouldn’t start thumping for hours.
I found nights of laughing, softball games and root beer freezes from Kirt’s Drive-In –
A chilly night when a ring went flying and the endless tears before it was found –
A December morning surrounded by family, well wishers, and spirits yet to come.
I found evening walks and changing houses –
Graduations, first jobs, and
Babies in white, one, two, three.
I found arguments and making up,
respect and friendship,
tolerance and devotion.
I found soccer games and first days of school,
hospital stays, grocery shopping, P.T.A meetings and
piano recitals (I thought the dentist was bad.)
I found clothing of white,
Baby gowns and a jumper.
I hold one to my face once in a while to try to remember what he smelled like years ago –
Baptismal clothes, unforgiving in their honesty that children grow up -
Starched shirts and blessings, handkerchiefs and tears.
I found photo albums and home movies –
Remember-when's and I-wish–we-could's,
Road trips and side trips and the road to Hana
I went looking for ice cream, but instead I found a best friend,
my life, my future..
and I found me.
6 comments:
Wow, Gretch.... what an awesome tribute to your hubby. I LOVED the poem~ you are so talented. It was fun to hear about how you met and all you've gone through together. You guys are a great example of a true, rock-solid marriage. Happy Anniversary!
Well I don't know how Brook feels about it, but you made ME cry! Your tribute is so sweet...thanks for sharing your blog with me! Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary to a great couple! I'm still sad you two aren't in our ward anymore.:(
Congratulations! And, holy cow, you poet you...nice job!
What a wonderful gift, to your husband (and to your kids.) They are lucky to have parents that not only love each other, but like each other too! It was really fun to read, I felt like I got a glimpse of the last 17 years! Loved it! As I did your Christmas card!! Have a wonderful Christmas.
I'm so glad that you love my brother! Pulease don't pass this on to him, but I think he's great too. And you are even better! Loved your poem and Happy Anniversay.
Post a Comment