I wish I could say that our home always runs smoothly. I really wish I could..... but I can't. Unfortunately, this family has seen more projects in the past 3 months than we've ever seen before. There's always a project for Brook to be working on. Just some of the problems which have required his attention in this house include: fixing a collapsing sewer drain (costly and not fun), repairing water damage by the French doors in Caitlyn's room, repairing the piping under the kitchen sink, installing a water softener because of the horrendously bad hard Highland water, and fixing a bad framing job in the master bedroom ceiling(too long to explain). You get the picture, another project is always just around the corner. I truly wasn't expecting the latest, however.
Saturday was going to be a casual, stress-free day when I got some cleaning done and spent a little time with Brynn running errands. Caitlyn had a babysitting job the entire day, and Zach and Brook had tickets to the BYU football game. They were heading out after he took care of a quick job which required him to crawl through the attic space in the garage, across the ceiling of our family room, and onto the ceiling in our master bedroom.
I was just getting the dishes cleaned up when I heard an incredibly loud crack. It made me jump, and as I turned around big pieces of sheetrock were falling to the ground in the eating area of the kitchen, followed by a huge billowing cloud of what looked like feathers. As my mind cleared I realized that it was insulation falling to the ground. And as the air cleared I made out Brook's lower half, up to his waist, hanging from the ceiling, legs kicking back and forth.
It was straight out of the movies. What the HECK! My mind was racing because the
ceiling at that point in probably 15 feet high. I just yelled, "BROOK! BROOK!" for no other reason because I couldn't figure out what else to do. There was no way for me to help him. I either had to quickly climb through the attic (which wasn't going to happen) or cushion his fall with my body (which wasn't going to happen either). Luckily he had grabbed onto some rafters as he was falling through and was able to hang on and pull himself out.
I was just getting the dishes cleaned up when I heard an incredibly loud crack. It made me jump, and as I turned around big pieces of sheetrock were falling to the ground in the eating area of the kitchen, followed by a huge billowing cloud of what looked like feathers. As my mind cleared I realized that it was insulation falling to the ground. And as the air cleared I made out Brook's lower half, up to his waist, hanging from the ceiling, legs kicking back and forth.
It was straight out of the movies. What the HECK! My mind was racing because the
I was so relieved that he was alright that I wasn't even mad about the mess. Had he fallen completely through, there is no doubt that he would have had some kind of injuries. A scraped up leg and some bruised pride is all he suffered, thank goodness. He had been crawling along the attic, carrying some tools that he needed, when he kind of tripped or fell forward and the rest just happened. Needless to say, Brook's Saturday consisted of doing things other than making it to the game. Maybe next time.
3 comments:
Oh my holy! What a disaster! I kinda couldn't help but giggle at the idea of Brook hanging out of the ceiling! What a great visual! You should've gotten that on film!! Other than the insulation mess, your house looks so beautiful. Next time we are in Utah, we are definitely coming by to see you guys. Hope things slow down a little in the "project" department. We miss you guys!
Gretchen, I am dying laughing at those pictures! Actually, it's not funny, but I can just envision the thing happening! Hope that you have that mess cleaned up before I get there! Julie
I had a little time this morning and thought I would peruse your blog a little more. HOLY COW! I was laughing too! Your description was great! It also looks like you are having a great time with you family! Not sure if we are going to make it out for the holidays. Travis' parents may come out for Thanksgiving and my family is thinking about coming for Christmas. They want a "White Christmas". However, I am sure we will be out there at some point and then we can get together!
Post a Comment