Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Am Grateful

Yet the Lord said, "Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things" (D&C 59:7)

For some reason this past weekend was a time of reflection and learning for me, a time to recenter myself and to think. It's always easier to do so when it's quiet, and this weekend proved quieter than most. The General Relief Society broadcast was wonderful and I especially appreciated Presiden Uchtdorf's talk. He hit it on the head when he suggested that we, as women, tend to be harder on ourselves than anyone else. We should just let it go and do our best with happiness. Fast and Testimony meeting had a sweet feeling about it also. But it was Relief Society which touched me the most.

Our lesson was about gratitude. Our teacher gave a wonderful presentation and the remarks made by the sweet sisters in the room added greatly to the tender spirit I felt there.

I have much to be grateful for. My heard overflows with thankfulness for the many, many blessings I have received in my life. I thank my Heavenly Father for knowing me and my needs and for giving me opportunities for growth and for blessing my life in such profound ways.

I am grateful for being born at such a time as this into a loving family where the gospel of Jesus Christ was taught. I am grateful for being blessed with goodly parents and ancestors whose testimonies helped mold my own. I'm grateful for siblings who each have such remarkable qualities and strengths, who share a common history with me, and who I count among my closest friends.

I am grateful for a husband who makes me laugh each day, who looks for the good and forgives my shortcomings, who loves his children and family above all else. I am grateful for my treasures, my children. They each have such a special part in our family and in my heart. Their strengths, personalities, and examples weave with one another and make the fabric of our family stronger.

I am grateful for good friends who touch my heart in places where no one else can reach. Laughing together and crying together, we work our ways through this life.

I am grateful for Brook's side of the family("inlaws" has such a negative conotation about it). They teach me by example always and I love them very much. My life is richer because of them.

I am grateful for a warm home and food on the table. I am grateful for good neighbors who watch out for one another.

I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for my testimony that He is my Redeemer and Savior. I am humbled by His love and willingness to die for me. I am grateful for the scriptures and for a living prophet upon the earth today who guides and directs us such as prophets of old. I am grateful for the blessings of the temple and for the knowledge that families can be eternal.

I am grateful for life's bumps, misdirections, and mistakes. They help me know where not to go again.

I am grateful for my life, for my health, and for the promise each new morning brings.

I am grateful for many things, more than I can count. It is truly humbling to reflect upon one's life and upon the blessings one has been given. Isn't life remarkable really? We all walk such individual and unique paths, yet we're all given blessings and opportunities to grow. Of that we should all be grateful.

4 comments:

julie said...

Thank you Gretchen...Julie

julie said...

Thank you, Gretchen...Julie

Jeni said...

Wow, Gretch... that was really well-said. You have such a talent for writing. Thanks for the lift today. You always seem to be able to do that for me!
Loves!

Julie said...

Hi Gretchen!! Wow what a surprise to read a comment from you on my blog! Your family is growing as well! Your kids couldn't get any more beautiful or handsome! I love your blog. We miss your family in our ward! I'll have to keep up on your fam by reading your blog, now that I know you have one! love, Julie Grose