Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas Break, Part One

Because second term ends this week, and because extra time has been very limited lately, I'm going to be posting our Christmas Break account in parts.

Trumpet blows in the background... And now presenting The Buhrley Family Christmas Break 2011, Part One: Christmas Itself.

We were pretty traditional this year. I think when the kids are older they will remember the Christmas Eves of their youths having the following things: gingerbread houses, pajamas, fondue, and the Christmas Story. We scored 3 out of 4 this year. Gingerbread houses? Check. Pajamas and required photo? Check. Fondue? We do! The Christmas Story of Jesus' birth? No. No? How, might you ask, did we forget the Christmas story? We had intended to, and were ready for it, when Brook decided to quickly charge the video camera for Christmas morning. In doing so, he discovered a treasure bag of past Christmas videos. We decided to watch 2003, and before we knew it, we were watching one Christmas morning after another. I have to admit that it was bittersweet. It was so fun to see the three kids small again. We all laughed at their excitement, innocent expressions, and hilarious antics. We watched in wonder at each cute little face and tried to remember how life was not so long ago. "Brynn was so cute and I was so serious" Caitlyn laughed. "My voice was so high!" Zach observed. "Did I really call Santa Clause Ho Ho?" Brynn questioned. We watched, fascinated, for over an hour, the Christmas stories of Our Life. There were tears, however, in my laughter and I couldn't decide if they were happy tears or sad tears. I think they were both.I agree with Brook's last words to me before we fell asleep on Christmas Eve, "Wow, we have a good life."
















3 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

Where have I been? I obviously have not been paying attention, because I missed this WONDERFUL post. I even got feeling a little weepy! You and Brook have created this great life that you and your wonderful children enjoy so much. That's on the top of the most satisfying things possible list. THIS Chirstmas will be cherished forever as the Christmas you were visisted by the joyous Spirit of Chirstmas Past. It's so hard to accept that it's all so fleeting, but new joys come along too...like GRANDBABIES. I know, I know...that's a ways off for you, but it will come eventually. Until then...keep on enjoying every second of every minute of that wonderful family of yours.
Love...

Julie said...

That was a precious post! I love family videos. It is physically painful for me to watch my kids when they were little, little! Reading this brought a little tear to my eye and is a good reminder to live in the now!!!!! These days will be over and gone before I know it!

Jeni said...

Nothing wrong with "traditional Christmas"! Sometimes, that ends up being the best one, yet!! I love how your family loves their own unique traditions. You are right, kids grow up so fast and will soon NOT be as excited and animated on Christmas morning! I LOVE that you watched old videos of past Christmases. Maybe we will start that new tradish at our house! ;)