Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Do You See What He Sees?


Last night Brook, Caitlyn and I had the opportunity to attend an Evening in Excellence program. The Young Women organization in our church not only teaches the young women the gospel and how it applies to them as young latter-day saints, but it also focuses on teaching seven values. These values are faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice and accountability, good works, and integrity. We believe as we as learn about and bring these values into our individual lives that we can draw closer to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

Caitlyn's Evening in Excellence was such a great night for us. The theme was, "Do You See What He Sees?" The program was very simple but very special. Each parent was asked to briefly talk about their daughter and to talk about which value best represented her. Needless to say, many tears are shed when one is asked to talk about one's daughter! There are 27 young women in our ward, and we learned special things about each one.

Brook and I were very honored to stand there with Caitlyn and talk about how special she is to us and how important she is in our lives. We have truly been blessed with a wonderful daughter who strengthens our family with her sweet spirit. The day that Caitlyn was born marked a pivotol time in both our lives, when "I" became "we" and we began a family. The value I chose to talke about for Caitlyn was individual worth. Caitlyn has always been so steady, so sure. She has always been grounded and recognized her worth as a daughter of God. She has always gathered good friends around her and demonstrated that she is above certain things of the world. I hope, as she continues in her teenage years, that she continues to remember that she is extremely special, of infinite worth, that she is special and talented, and worthy of wonderful things in this life. I also greatly appreciate that she truly sees the worth of those around her. She is quick to point out the good in people and she won't allow bad things to be said about others. I especially value how loyal she is to those she cares about.

Brook said that he is always so impressed with how hard she works at things. He related the story of how, at age 5, she'd bug him and bug him until he'd come play soccer with her because she wanted to be the best. She's always been one to set her mind to things and accomplisth them.

We are lucky to have her in our lives. I look up to her in many ways and recognize what a wonderful young woman she is becoming. She has a wonderful road ahead of her and will do many great and marvelous things. I am honored to be her mother and friend. We all love her very much.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

AND she's a bade! I bet she was blushing hearing you and Brook talk about her. But what a great opportunity for the kids to see and hear their parents talk about their uniqueness. And HOW EMBARRASSING!!! haha

Jeni said...

Caitlyn, you ARE so darling! We miss you so much. Boston always asks if you can babysit!! Our ward, too, had their YW in Excellence this past weekend. I always loved those special nights. You learn so many things about the ones who are so dear to you! Caitlyn, keep doing what you are doing..... you truly are AWESOME!