Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mormon Tabernacle Choir


We had the most wonderful Sunday morning this past week. With the school quarter ending soon, Caitlyn had a choir assignment which had to be completed over the weekend. She had to attend a musical performance for her choir class. As Brook and I thought about how we could help her, we thought of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Spoken Word. Brook had never attended a broadcast, although he loves the choir. I attended one with my family when I was younger and I thought that this might be a fun thing to do with the kids. Luckily the choir was in town.

I have never been one who love, love, loves the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but as the kids and I walked into the tabernacle we were spellbound. There truly is nothing that compares to the sound of them singing. It was magical to listen to in person.

There was almost a full house that morning and I'm glad we had arrived a little bit early. We got to listen to them rehearse with the Orchestra at Temple Square. It was a wonderful feeling to sit in the tabernacle, where all of our prophets have spoken, and feel the peace there. A few minutes before air-time, the narrator of the Spoken Word told us a little bit about the history of the choir and of the tabernacle. He also explained what to expect during the broadcast itself. He introduced a few groups of special visitors and then encouraged us to remain seated after the broadcast for a special presentation.

The broadcast was beautiful and moving. The message for the performance was one of endurance and looking for the blessings in our individual trials. We were told that even in the darkest of times, we can find a way to grow and be blessed.

After the broadcast we remained seated and were happy that we did. The announcer introduced special visitors that day: Earl Holding and his entire family who had been seated in a special box toward the front. The family was invited up to the podium and introduced to the congregation. Earl Holding himself seems quite ill, having suffered a stroke, and requires a wheelchair. We were told that a special person wanted to present them with a gift and then President Thomas S. Monson was introduced to say a few words. He remarked that he had been a longtime friend of Earl Holding, having know him as a schoolboy, and said some very nice things about him and his family. The family members were then made honorary members of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and presented with plaques to commemerate the honor. Sister Holding spoke for the family and said some very humble and sweet words. Then the family gathered around tight, turned around, and the choir sang, "God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again" for the family. It was the most beautiful song and I know that I shed a tear, though I don't know why.

On the way out, Caitlyn said to us, "You're welcome." When we asked for what, she explained that had she not procrastinated, we probably never would have gone. She's more than likely right. So to her we say, "Thank You."

2 comments:

The Barton's said...

Good Job Caitlyn! I agree! The choir is amazing. And what a neat way to do a project! Gretch-I sure miss you! You are such a great person! Glad we can keep in touch through blogging and e-mail! I have wanted your blog for sometime now and couldn't ever find it! So thanks for posting on mine! And you better add me to your friends link or else?!? JK Sure think you have a great family!

Jess A said...

I'm so glad you guys went. I go to this all the time and it still takes my breath away. We are so fortunate that we can attend this whenever we want.